Alright, so it’s summer time and you want to go outside and have fun with your friends/kids/family, but you HATE being eatten alive by mosquitos. Well I have some great news for you! Here are 10 ways for you to naturally repel mosquitos. No DEET please and thank you!
10 Ways to Naturally Repel Mosquitos
1. Add a few drops of citronella oil to an unscented lotion and apply. Or dillute it with coconut oil 🙂
2. Crush Rosemary leaves and rub them on your skin – the mosquitos hate this smell!
3. Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, put 10 drops into a 2oz travel sized spray bottle, fill the rest up with water, spray on for an insect repellant. Provides similar protection to those that have low doses of DEET in them (avoid eye area!)
4. If you can stand tea tree oil scent, then put that on you, mosquitos are like eww you’re gross. If you’re not so fond of it, you can put 10-20 drops into a bowl of water and dip cotton strips into it and hang it around the back deck, patio, etc.
5. Wear light colored clothing, mosquitos are attracted to dark colors, so if you’re always wearing black or navy blue, time to change it up!
6. Geranium, Soybean and Coconut oil mixed in equal parts can repel mosquitos for up to 2 hours.
7. DIY Bug Spray #1 lavender essential oil, tea tree oil, witch hazel and distilled water. In a 4oz spray bottle fill halfway with distilled water, halfway with witch hazel, add 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 10 drops of tea tree oil.
8. DIY Bug Spray #2 5 tablespoons of pure cedar oil in 32oz of water in a spray bottle.
9. DIY Bug Spray #3 Basil, water and vodka, put a handful of fresh basil into bowl, add 1/2 cup of boiling water, let it steep for 2-4 hours. After the steep time is up, squeeze the basil to get all of the juice out, discard basil leaves and add 1/2 cup of vodka. Pour into a spray bottle. This is safe, but keep it out of the reach of children.
10. Eat more garlic! Mosquitos are like vampires, they suck your blood, well also like the rumors about vampires mosquitos HATE garlic. If you want to smell like an Italian restaurant you could even rub garlic cloves on you before you go out for extra protection.
There you have it! 10 ways to naturally repel mosquitos.
Share it now so your friends can be protected from mosquitos too!