Natural Cough Remedies for Kids
It’s cold and flu season, my little munchkin was among the lucky and came down with a cold, but with kids you can’t give them cough medicine. Any child under 6 it is deemed unsafe for them to take any kind of cough medicine and it actually wouldn’t work on them anyway because their little bodies are still developing. So what can you do so that you both can get some sleep at night?
1. Onions (safe for all ages)
Seriously, this works. It will make your house smell like an Italian restaurant, but it works so well that I don’t care because I’d rather sleep peacefully.
Chop an onion, place it in a bowl of warm water and put it in the room where the child will be sleeping. It’s safe for people of all ages, from newborn on up! This is my favorite thing for coughs because it works so well.
2. Honey and lemon “tea” (not suitable for children under 1, sometimes up to 2 years old ask your pediatrician when honey is acceptable).
Heat up a cup of water and add honey and lemon to taste.
3. Lavender essential oil (safe for all ages)
Add 2-4 drops of essential oil to a vaporizer for coughing relief. This was my go-to before I found out about the onion, it works well, but I still think the onion works the best.
4. Eucalyptus oil (vaporizer method safe for all ages, on child must be 5+)
Add 3-5 drops to a vaporizer for coughing relief. For older children (over the age of 5) you can mix a few drops of oil with olive oil and rub it into the soles of their feet to stop coughing (much like the vicks remedy but all natural).
5. Chicken soup – the sodium content helps to coat the throat, break up mucus and calm coughing. Obviously to be used on children who are old enough to eat, you can serve broth to younger children (1+)
This information is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. I am in no way a doctor, physician, or nurse, just sharing methods that have worked for me – a mom – and countless others when it comes to caring for our children. 🙂
I hope your nights are easy and your rest is peaceful this holiday/cold/flu season!